Tuesday 22 June 2010

Language and linguistics

Hey, I'm back. Now completely done with the gymnasium. So from now until the fifth of july I'm going to party down constantly, so now is my last chance to write something (again in the middle of the night, but hey, I don't have to get up in the morning anymore!). As a gratuation gift I got an HTC Legend (!) and all the stuff I need for the Roskilde-festival: tent, foldable chairs, cooling bag. So that's great.

Okay, we're talking language and linguistics today. My latest and greatest passion at the moment. I'm even going to University next year (hopefully) to major in linguistics.

So, what is linguistics anyway? Well it's the science of language. From the tiniest sounds that we speak to the complex grammar and sentence structures they make. All the way from physics and aerodynamics in pronounciation to the neuro science of language learning to the art of writing and the sociological influences of dialects. Just my thing.

I guess (again) that my childhood in Japan is to blame for this interest in linguistics. Being bilingual at such an early age can have stimulated the language part of my brain.

Now, conlanging is probably the ultimately geeky part of linguistics. Creating your own language either by mixing or changing existing languages or making them from scratch. I am into the latter, although I have yet to construct a usable language. I have a lot of small projects going, that I can actually focus on now, since I am done with school. Great!

Go read about my first (and maybe a bit ambitious) conlang: A nasal conlang

I won't be back from partying until the fifth, as I mentioned. But I'll be sure to update you with a bit more explanation (maybe a video taken with my new Legend). See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment